Sunday, November 23, 2008

Thank you waitress, that will be all

Yesterday afternoon I worked at the salon (which is ending soon btw) and Tanner called and said Turner's grandpa is needing some Turner time and offered to watch him if we wanted to go out. Since Tanner and I have only had 2 nights out together since Turner was born, we were happy to get out. Of course I couldn't leave the house until I made sure Turner was fed, bathed, and happy; it's still so hard to leave him! I'm wondering when it will get easier, if it ever does. Tanner and I still have a giftcard from our anniversary for the movies, but of course nothing was playing that we wanted to see so we decided on dinner and a little Christmas shopping. We had a wonderful dinner, not because the restaurant was fancy or the food was great, but because we could focus on each other. It's the little things, ya know? After dinner we went to a couple of stores and browsed for Christmas gifts. We couldn't find anything worth buying but the night was still young and we didn't want to go home quite yet. I threw out the idea of going somewhere to have a couple of drinks or we could go somewhere for dessert and head home. The wild and crazy couple we were a few years ago must have packed up and left as soon as Turner came home. We don't have late nights in us anymore (atleast last night we didn't) and preferred to be home so we decided to go to Bob Evans for some pie and hot chocolate; hoping that the crowd in there doesn't start raving until after 9.

Our waitress was probably in her mid twenties, hot pink and black hair, and pale skin. Not exactly what you picture and Bob Evans, but I'm not judgemental and was actually relieved that Laura Ingalls didn't have our table. The girls that have their hair in braided pigtails and skip around sweating sweetness are the angels sleeping with their boss and teasing old men for extra tips. I worked as a waitress for a few years and I know the biz. It's all about the money and I used to work with a chic that would take men to the banquet room for a little something extra and another that would give hugs out like candy. I'm sure the fact that she had DD's didn't have anything to do with the 20's that used to get dropped on her tables. All of this taking place in a little hometown restaurant selling Amish cooking, actually cooked by Jeff; the guy that would buy us beer when our shifts were over. Anywho, back to our waitress. I'm expecting normal questions, what would you like to drink etc., but not tonight. Tanner and I got the lean in your face, babytalk treatment. I felt like she was going to put a bib on us and feed us our dessert. Seriously, it was that bad. Everything was, GOOOUUD! SO GLAD TO HEAR IT! THAT'S SUCH A CUTE BAG! I LOVE YOUR HAIR! AWE, THAT'S CUTE! MMMKAY, TEE HEE! Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a compliment or two but this gal was overkill. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks . . .this is how we talk to our son. From this day forward I vow to speak to my son in normal fashion and not in my Bob Evans waitress voice. Amen.

2 comments:

Brandie said...

lol - your waitress sounds crazy. i'm right there with ya on late nights. i feel like i'm 80 have the time. Nunz and i can barely make it past 9:30 most nights! it's really sad!

Ava and the Trips said...

Too funny! Tim and I went out Saturday night and stayed out way later than I normally do and I am still paying for it! ;0)