I'm still alive. Barely, but I'm here. Holy shit have I had the week from Haites. Now that I reflect, it wasn't ALL that bad. Nobody close to me passed away, my house didn't burn down, no big tragedies. You get the point. To save you from the boring details of my week here is the short-sweet-to-the-point run down.
Saturday: Tanner's fam was down to visit Turner and take us all out to dinner for Tanner's 31st birthday. The power went out around 5:15 and the restaurant where we planned to eat didn't have power either. We drove another 20 minutes to the nearest town to a restaurant that didn't specialize in pizza or burgers. This was wonderful news to his 70 something grandparents who had just spent about 2 hours in the car. Dinner tasted good; what I was able to eat of it anyway. Turner was acting a little out of sorts and I assumed it was because of all of the people at the restaurant. I ended up taking him outside so everyone could finish their dinner in peace and actually have uninterrupted conversation. Back home. Still no power. Everyone left at dusk. As they are pulling out of the driveway the power is restored. Either way, we were both beat after a long day and called it quits.
Sunday: Turner was running a fever of 102, his nose was running out of control, and his eyes were matting shut every 15 minutes with green goo. We thought it might be allergies and gave him some Benedryl. It got him through the night.
Monday: Turner still sick so we decided to stay home with him in shifts. I got the morning shift, Tanner was with him that afternoon. At 2 Tanner called me at work and said he wasn't getting any better so I set up an appointment with the Pediatrician a couple of hours later. Diagnosis: Double ear infection and a cold. Poor kid! He was still running a fever over 102. When we got home, we gave him his medicine, I put him to bed and went back into work. It was an important week last week and I knew hours were necessary to get all of the stuff done that's been shuffled around on my desk for the last few months or so. Got back home a little after midnight and crashed.
Tuesday: Turner slept in until 7 making me grateful for small miracles. The kid had slept 12 hours! He must have been resting up for the dramatic theatrics he performed throughout the day. He cried at everything, was mad at everything, and spent most of his day on the floor being Mr. Limpbody and having tantrums. All day I just kept telling myself to stay positive, he just didn't feel well, etc. I had to give myself a pep talk every half hour so I didn't have a total meltdown. For the record, I could NEVER be a SAHM. Ever. It gave me renewed energy toward my job because if I ever became unemployed and had to stay home with my kid every day I would probably sink into a dark pit of depression. Just keeping it real.
Wednesday: Back to work. Happy 31st Birthday Tanner. Should have stayed at the office to get more work done, but I wanted to give hubby a good birthday and not stick him with the boy all evening. I put a card out for him first thing in the morning and put a couple of CD's and other misc tunes on his ipod to start his day off right. For dinner I ordered is favorite pizza that he hasn't eaten in . . . are you ready for this? . . .5 years! I used to live in a college town and when we dated we usually hung out at my place because we could always find something to do and there were always places to eat when 3 a.m. rolled around. Pizza is one of his fave's. Really greasy oily cheesy pizza with crunchy pepperoni. We used to buy a large pie for 10 bucks. Tuesday, I paid 20 bucks but it was worth it when I watched him suck it down like it was his last meal. My Ma brought over a cake and when we sang Happy Birthday Turner's eyes lit up and he swayed back and forth. He thought we were singing to him! It was so cute. After I put Turner to bed, Tanner wanted a nude massage so I let him be naked under his sheet. I knew that wasn't what he meant, but he falls asleep after the first 5 minutes of the massage anyway. Like I'm going to want to be walking around in my postpartum nakedness while he snores, right. I'm not fond of being openly naked. I sleep in a bra for pete's sake. I had way too much "openess" and "exposure" from my mother during my years of being at home and promised to never do that to my children/husband. She is a total bra burner, Rosie the Riveter, cut your hair, burn the apron type of gal. Getting off topic here . . . finished the massage. Woke Tanner up to move onto the bed. Time: 11 p.m. G'night! Slept like a baby. Not my baby, the baby that everyone else seemed to have that slept through the night at 3 months old. Yeah, I'm still bitter. Move on.
Thursday: Month end/ Fiscal year end at work. Lots to do and not a lot of motivation. Got through the day without peeing or eating more than an apple. I was running a little bit behind schedule and it was my night to cook dinner at home. Tanner gave me heat about not having dinner ready for Turner at exactly 5:30 because he's on a new schedule and so on. I suggested giving the boy a snack and he said he already did and painted a visual for me of my son standing at the refrigerator crying. Then I snapped. My words couldn't be interpreted because I was bawling my eyes out, yelling into the phone all while driving 70 mph on the highway. When I arrived home I made dinner and had it on the table by 6 (apparently Turner didn't starve to death) and I went through my nightly routine. I decided to go to bed early to avoid another argument and ease my pounding head.
Friday: Up early and felt great! I was able to get completely ready for work without Turner waking up and the day was off to a great start. I arrived at work and was pleased to have a busy day filled with easy tasks. Aaahh. As I was eating my breakfast I received an email from hubby which was pretty much a typed out vent of his frustration toward me. (cue the thunder sound effect) So much for having a good day and I wasn't looking forward to going home to be confronted with "issues." My energy level was at an all-time low but I'm an adult/parent and I had to go home and face my problems. I did go straight home even though the rebel inside of me was telling me to go pound some drinks with a few pals and crash at their place for the night. Tanner and I talked through it and life is back to normal. Not sure how long "normal" lasts, but if I have another week like this one I don't know if I'll make it through with my sanity.
Saturday: Class dismissed and hour and a half early. House is clean. Lawn is mowed (thanks to husband). I made a delicious dinner and we went to a local ice cream shop for dessert. Turner crashed without a fight. I am in my jammies and blogging (decompressing). Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some boob tube time to make up and wine to guzzle.
Oh, I also forgot to mention that my friend Michelle had a beautiful little boy (Nathan) on Tuesday. I went to the hospital on my lunch break to visit and didn't want to leave. I got baby fever and thought about how nice it would be to have a baby again. Tomorrow. Not nine months from now. I don't want to be pregnant again . . .yet, ever? Who knows, but that kid is gorgeous.
2 comments:
Geez. You HAVE had a crazy ass week. Glad you made it through. I'm very glad this week is over myself. Year end is a bitch. And glad Turner is feeling better!
by the way...glad to have you back. a whole week without reading your blog is not a fun week.
Post a Comment