Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Discipline Update

So far so good. Turner hasn't hit me or Tanner since I posted the "Little Monster" blog entry. He is still hitting Rex, pulling his tail, and pulling his hair. Turner will walk up to the dog, pet him, lay his head on him like he's giving him a hug and then grab handfuls of his skin and hair and shake it really fast and scream. He will hold food out in front of Rex's nose and then when Rex leans in to eat it, Turner will pull it back and say, "No dog!" When Turner is mean to Rex we tell him, "no". If he doesn't listen, we will tell him once again, "no." If he still doesn't listen, I sit him on his butt against the wall, get down to his level, and say, "No Turner, don't hit the dog." I say it in a firm voice but I don't yell. He always cries, but it seems to stop him from doing it for the rest of the evening. I am the only one that has done this. Tanner doesn't seem to want to participate in the disciplining but he'll have to eventually. He agrees that the time-outs against the wall are a good thing, but for now he's allowing me to be the meanie.

3 comments:

Lora said...

this is wonderful news! hitting is usually just a stage, and it can be over quick if you do the right thing as a mom, and it sounds like you are!

Ava and the Trips said...

Glad to hear it's going well. We have been dealing with a lot of this lately too!

Brandie said...

sounds like you've got it under control!