Monday, November 17, 2008

Late Night Thoughts

Tonight is a very rare night that I actually haven't gone to bed yet. Turner usually sleeps until 6 every morning and I'm getting a full night's rest, but work is draining and life after work is draining so I usually find myself in a coma by 9:30. Tonight dinner was prepared via crockpot so Tanner didn't have to follow my meal plan I put together on Sunday's and I got to have dinner with my guys. Typically, I don't get home in time for dinner (5:30 FIRM, Turner's rule) since I have almost an hour commute. Minutes after I walk through the door and hurdle the baby gate, I scarf down a small plate of food while Turner climbs me like a mountain. Afterward it's bath time, play time, feeding time, bedtime, packing time (daycare stuff, my lunch, etc.), and I can't leave out getting my clothes together for the next day because when I don't you can tack on another 15 to 20 minutes of time in the morning. After all of those things have been accomplished I slip into my pj's (maybe get some hot tea if I'm motivated) and go to bed with the intentions of reading the pile of mail, magazines, books, etc. that have accumulated over the last 13 months of my new life as a mom. As I type this out, I can hear the rustling of my beautiful little boy in the room across the hall and the snoring of my hubby who has just finished his busy day of work and afternoon/evening of daddy duty and can't help but love every second of my life. Almost every night when I go downstairs after putting Turner to sleep, Tanner and I look at each other through our tired eyes and say we would do it all over again because our son is the best gift in the whole wide world. After that he goes back to watching the football game in his underwear and I prepare myself for the evening by removing my make up, putting on the biggest flannel pajama's I can find, putting on my glasses, putting in my retainer, and throwing my hair up in a big lumpy ponytail. The best part of it all, Turner can still recognize me in the morning and Tanner has accepted that there's a whole lotta ugly living in our house after 9:00. That's just the way it is folks. Well, I'd better get going; I've got a magazine to stare at on the floor. Maybe tonight is the night it magically jumps into my lap and flips it's own pages.

1 comment:

Brandie said...

I loved this! You're too funny. Sounds like life is pretty good, no matter how trying your day - it's what you get to go home to that makes it all worth while. You've got a really sweet family, Jen :)