Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Farewell Joe, we'll see you soon!

Our brother Joe leaves for Fort Benning today. He is now part of the elite SpecialForces - US Army. The next time we see him, he'll be known as Neill more than Joe and he'll introduce us to his new family. His family of brothers will become part of our family too. He may bring a couple home on holidays or random visits and will always be speaking of them. The next time we see him he'll be speaking more in abbreviations than words, be clean-shaven, fit, and trim. He'll have new confidence and carry himself with his head held high. I look forward to seeing PFC Neill, but I won't lose sight of the boy I fell in love with eight years ago.

The first time I met Joe he was 12 years old. He told me Tanner used to be fat and wanted to show me pictures. (just looking out for my best interest I suppose) He also told me that Haley is mean. I loved him right away. We bonded through thumb-wrestling, mercy, arm-wrestling, and teasing Tater-Chi. Throughout the years, Joe has entertained me and Tanner over and over with his jokes, quick wit, and sense of humor. It's been a privilege to have been part of the football seasons, holiday wrestling matches, triathalons, etc. To watch him from a distance over the years has highlighted our lives.

Many tears were shed on Friday, and yesterday, and will be today by family and friends who are going to miss having Joe around on a daily basis. He's truly a loved brother/uncle/friend.


Good luck Joe and we can't wait to see you in a few months! Stay focused and don't give up. We're rooting for you!

2 comments:

Haley said...

I am sad that he is gone, but very excited for all he is about to become. This process is all new to our family, but you are a pro at it, so don't be alarmed when you get a million questions thrown at you! haha! By the way, is that a ghost in the top photo?!

Brandie said...

Kudos to your brother in law. It's an amazing thing that he's doing!