I made a call to his Optometrist and they were all excited to order some new frames and have him in next week to try them on. Can you tell the entire office is female? They can't wait to play glasses dress-up with my kid. Atleast glasses have come a long way and we saw some pretty cute ones on some kids today.
I had an "I am so grateful" moment today. We were in a room FULL of autistic kids, mentally disabled kids, and physically challenged kids today. Turner and one other little girl were the only 2 that didn't have a disability. When Turner was first diagnosed with having Strabismus I of course hit the internet to learn more. Worst idea ever. I should have just listened to my doctor and what he had to say instead of reading every horror story on every support group website out there. Anyway, even though I sometimes feel bad that Turner was born without perfect eyes and he has to wear glasses all of the time, I have to be grateful that he is a normal, active boy. I hate the fact that he has such beautiful big blue eyes and has to cover them up with glasses, but today that seemed like a selfish thought as I watched other children rocking back and forth obviously overstimulated by the crowd or the kids that had to work so hard to make their crippled little bodies move. My heart felt like it was going to explode. I need to see these things once in awhile even though it tears me up because it's easy to get caught up in my own little world and have a pity party.
My moment in the waiting room was quickly dissolved as soon as I decided to take Turner for a walk around the floor. He was impatient, as was I since his appointment was at 9, it was now 9:45 and we drove 2 hours to get there, but it happens and we had to adapt. I dressed Turner in a Michigan football jersey today that says "Go Blue." Tanner's mom bought it for Turner since she still believes that Tanner is a Michigan fan. Not the case, hasn't been for years, but we don't have the heart to say anything and go with it. Anywho, as I'm walking my little arm candy around the floor I get random shout outs about his shirt and how Ohio State is a better team. O-H I-O! This happened like 6 times from different people, women included. Seriously! You're going to rip on me for dressing my 17 month old son in a Michigan jersey? If we would have had an appointment in Columbus . . .understood. But I figured the Clevelanders are far enough north that we were safe. Brutal. Atleast now I know better and for Turner's sake we'll be putting the jersey away. Poor kid. I can't wait until our next trip when he's in the brutally honest phase and tells them that their butts are lumpy and asks them why they have 2 chins. Maybe for our next visit I'll dress him in a T-shirt that says this:
Haters.
3 comments:
Haha! You so need to get that shirt, maybe the edited version, but that is hilarious! I too, did not know that Tanner was no longer a Michigan fan. I believe that we both were as children just to piss off mom. It's what kids do. But yeah, it is pretty ridiculous that adults comment on a child's outfit with rudeness...I would have told them to get the hell over it.
Turner is super cute with glasses and his big blue eyes are still as beautiful as ever behind the lenses! I don't think he even looks like himself without his little specs. Eventually he will be able to get contacts, I am sure of it! I find that kids in glasses are cuter! (For the most part.) Everyone that sees my pics of him at work think he should be a baby model, so I think he is doing well!
Love the t-shirt idea. I feel your pain. Whenever I wear my Steelers jersey, I get random people that feel the need to ridicule me and make comments. It's even more ridiculous when they are picking on a little boy! People need to get a life!
I'm glad Turner's appt went well!
holy crap, here in philly people have gotten stabbed for wearing rival gear!!
it's either local or nothing, baby!
but seriously, people are jerks
Post a Comment